Do I have to pay a royalty? The answer is yes and no, depending…I work with MANY teachers and, unfortunately, they don’t get paid well enough, nor are most given budgets for the arts. A teacher once told me: “Pay a royalty?!?! Are you kidding me! I’m lucky enough to buy one copy of this book with my own money!” So, if you fall under the following criteria, you don’t have to pay any royalties:
- You don’t charge your kids for the books or the class.
- You don’t charge for the performances. (typically they are just for parents or classmates)
- BUT! I do ask that you let me know so I can mark it as a donation! (and if you do want to leave a positive review on Amazon, that would be AWESOME!)
However, if you do:
- Charge your kids for the books or the class – then you DO have to pay for each book. (you can get a group discount, contact me directly: Brendan at PlayingWithPlays.com)
- Charge for the performances – then you DO have to pay a royalty per performance – $35/performance
But, with that said, I am an author and I’m trying to do more and more of these plays, so if you can manage it I would appreciate the royalty!